“Looking backwards from now to the WOP-P Course:
- I live in Australia, am married to the most incredible woman who I met here while doing the 3-month WOP-Work Experience module.
- For the last 2 and a half years I have been working in Australia for a South African owned mining company, I partly attribute obtaining this current job to the positive reference I brought over from when I previously worked for this company as an Intern in South Africa after the WOP-P course.
- I then attribute obtaining that intern role to the WOP-P Work Experience I completed with Sentis Safety Consultants in Australia for 3 months. Where I met my wife.
- So where I am now is clearly influenced by the direction set for me by the WOP-Course. I found myself in a research role within a consultancy within a mining company, this led to work at a mining firm, and then a second mining firm, then a move to Australia and another mining firm. I definitely did not intend to get into mining, but that is the work experience I had found, and have since developed a passion for people, safety and talent.
Overall I was blessed to have participated in the programme. It added maturity to my thinking and character.
Major Take-away from the WOP-P Course:
- The sincerity of the professors and professional exposure to international experts
- The practical subjects in the second year helped ground the theory
- The work experience helped me know how to really translate my thinking into a useful product
- The winter school had just enough learning and academic pressure and was a great bonding experience for the group.”